Monday, September 8, 2008

Stay with me.

I was thrown back to early college years this week, thinking of when I fell in love with a song written by one of the guys from Penn Masala, Sandeep. He wrote "Stay with me" for his sister's wedding and even now when I listen to it I find it really touching. Unfortunately, I cant find the link for this song, but its the thought of its message thats really driving this post.

My best friend's engagement party is this weekend and I am going stag. Of course, I could bring a guest, but I figured I'm going to see all my friends so it shouldn't matter. But then, this weekend, as my mind wandered from the lumbosacral plexus and gluconeogenesis to what I'd be wearing and who I would see, I kept getting stuck on the thought that I would be at an engagement party, seeing all of my friends and their boyfriends, by myself. To put it another way, I'd be the only alone person there. I'm sure this is probably not a logical thought, but still, I felt really sad all at one moment. So, of course, I called up my boyfriend to vent about the sadness and how much I missed him. In that one conversation, I saw all the reasons why I love him. I realized that as helpless as I am in this, so is he. I also realized how truly sweet and comforting he can be as he told me not to worry, that we would share many more memories together, and that even though he couldn't be there physically he is always there for me. With those words, I realized that I am truly lucky, to have someone who cares about me so much and is so supportive even as we move through tough times. I am actually far from being "alone."

So, back to the song. There is one line that I always come back to...."Never know tomorrow where we'll be, but I wanna find where this may lead.... Stay with me." 

For you.

PS: congrats to the bride and groom, two very special ppl that I am also to glad to have in my life.

3 comments:

jan said...

check your email. love.

Katrina said...

aww. i remember this song! so many goood memories from rooming with you (best roomie ever!)

i'm really excited to see you this weekend and i can't wait for all the memories i will make with you and akhil.

love you!

Tiff said...

the song is absolutely beautiful. and i can totally relate to your post. in previous emails, karl and i were talking about how it was sad that we were missing out on each other's memories but that we'll hopefully be able to make up for lost time once we're reunited.

also, the "good" part (if there is any) of being away from each other right now is that we can each focus on everything we need to do (career, savings, getting issues sorted out) so that when we do see each other again, everything's all set and we can just focus on each other.

as you said (and as i've discovered) absence does make the heart grow fonder. <3

miss you!