Saturday, October 18, 2008

counting down again.

It's been one year.

One year since he asked me to be his girlfriend with a single long stemmed red rose, and it caught me off guard. And since then, he's been catching me off guard.

I feel so blessed to have him in my life.
He'll be boring with me while I study in my room, message me randomly with hearts, send me flowers on our anniversary so I have something pretty in my bare dorm room, serenade me before I go to sleep, wake me for my exams so I can wake up to his voice instead of my annoying blackberry alarms.

But at the same time I don't have him.
He's still a plane ride away, and another two weeks that are just dragging until I'm back home. And still an anatomy practical, six finals in my way. And I feel like I'm burning out already. We talk plenty, but I'm still worried that we might drift apart. Separate social lives, separate schedules. What if it's just too much?

The power went out today. Entire school. Apparently, the second years were having a practical and had just 9 minutes left. They have to finish on Monday and worry more this weekend. I couldn't stand to stay in my room, it was suffocating without the light and it was getting darker outside. So with two friends in tow, we went off to Intelligentsia (best coffee by far in Chicago) by Millennium Park (it's really autumn now...) for a break and to study there, which digressed into going to a bookstore and looking at bridal magazines instead for two hours with coffee.

I felt like I was home again. Just being silly, doing silly things, without having the stress of constant exams on my mind. It made me miss more than just missing him. I missed doing absolutely mundane errands and the most random tangents of our days together. Like taking an unplanned left turn on Hill St. and going future house "shopping". Going to LA Mill for siphon brewed coffee (though sg had the best and only siphon brewed Jamaican Blue Mountain. Sigh. I miss it.) and faux-stalking Eton, head barista, and arguing if it's pronounced "ee-ton" or "eh-ton". I forget which side I was arguing for even now.

Two more weeks. I'm always counting down.

5 comments:

Katrina said...

i have a two week countdown of my own... always countdowns indeed.

happy belated one year!!

and i, too, could spend hours looking at bridal magazines... so addicting!

jan said...

you however have a valid reason to. the golden ticket if you will (the blinging ring) :) i on the other hand will start to scare doug with what i actually want to do. like a wedding binder! :D

Tiff said...

hello, at least you guys have talked about it. i'm saving wedding images in a "wedding inspiration" folder and karl and i are nowhere near discussing it. i think i just radiate psycho. hopefully he's into that sort of thing. lol!

miss you and happy belated one year. it still boggles my mind how you and my brother are so similar with your relationships!!!

Rhea said...

jan, you rock my socks! good luck with exams!

Rhea said...

oh yea, i have not tried bridal magazines and apparently i shouldnt start since its so addictive. i, on the other hand, do get excited about the idea of it. when'd we all get so domesticated?!